Classes of hosting services
A hosting service is associated with depositing and/or sharing certain web content on a server administered by a website hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's survey these. In this way, you can pick what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to have a website, email addresses, or to share files with pals and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service supplied by certain vendors, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting solutions often involve ads by the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a particular spell of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you have a paid file storage package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally distorted explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would distribute the tasks at hand between different hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending miscellaneous web hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain corporations offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is appropriate if you wish to share an enormous number of pictures with mates or acquaintances since the service is typically free. You will receive a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your email addresses. Some distributors offer web page hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you desire to manage a mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can set up e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file produces a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and a few hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your site hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to possess as many video files as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to own a web site. To a certain extent, it comprises all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that allow you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the type of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse compared to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific content only.